Saturday, April 30, 2011

Parapente

 

IMG_0211IMG_0221IMG_0220IMG_0225IMG_0215IMG_0222

Brad and I decided we needed some adventure in our lives last Wednesday so we thought jumping off a mountain would do the trick. Parapente, or paragliding, is basically jumping off a mountain with a parachute. Do note that the parachute is already deployed, so there’s not that awful falling feeling. I could never skydive.

Trying to make Linda Cooper proud, I found a group that does parapente in our Mendoza coupon book, (in retrospect, that’s probably not how you should choose your paragliding company) and we headed out on Saturday afternoon.

Notes on our Parapente adventure

  • The scariest part is not the actual paragliding; it’s the bus ride up the mountain.
  • Wind conditions are somewhat important for this activity. Our guides had us wait 15 minutes after we got up there for the winds to calm down. When they didn’t, the guides decided we might as well go anyhow.
  • Do not do parapente if you get motion sick easily, such as myself. I was really trying to enjoy the amazingness of the ride and the scenery, but with the wind pulling us up and down and in circles, I had my helmet off in the air ready to hurl. Luckily, I kept it together. But seriously, just barely.
  • However, if you are not in the aforementioned category, this is a very calming experience with amazing views, and you should definitely do it. ~$60 US/person
 
From the air
From the ground after I landed

No comments:

Post a Comment