Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mendoza!!!

 

Here I am already slacking off on blogging and I’ve only been here four days. I arrived in Mendoza on Wednesday night and moved in with one of my professor’s ex-alumnus. Her name is Flor, short for Florencia, and she’s an private English tutor as well as a translator for government affairs. She’s pretty busy, but she took time one day to drive me around and show me some parts of Mendoza that are farther out….The apartment I’m living in now is the penthouse apartment in the center of the city, and I have a fairly large room. Most importantly, Flor has an adorable dog that resembles a mop named Pipa.

SDC13112

Classes start this Tuesday so I’ve just spent the last few days exploring the city, drinking café con leche (espresso with steamed milk) and meeting new people through my daily interactions. Thursday I walked through El Parque de General San Martin, which is twice as big as Central Park. The university I’m teaching at is located within the park—turned out to be quite the hike since the university is in the back corner of the park.

 

FOOD

Thursday I took a waitress’ recommendation and ordered a steak sandwich---seriously the size of two sandwiches with every condiment possible: mayonnaise, ketchup, lettuce, tomato, fried egg…luckily they believe in to go boxes here (unlike many parts of Europe).

Friday I went grocery shopping. I didn’t really know what to buy so I ended up buying fruit, yogurt, beer and something similar to rice-a-roni. Not sure why but the yogurt is amazing here…pronounced SHOGURT.

Friday night I was feeling a little sad that I had to watch my tarheels play alone so I cheered myself up with pizza and beer. Again, I took the waiter’s recommendation and ordered El Campo, which turned out to be a pizza completely covered in ham and topped with arugula and chorizo. A bit salty for my taste but again, this city’s cuisine is a meat lover’s paradise.

SDC13121SDC13122

No comments:

Post a Comment