Thursday, March 24, 2011

Taco Tabasco!

image

I’m actually spending too much time online these days, but it’s hard for me not to as I’m waiting to hear back on apartments. Things seem to move at snail pace in that regard—or rather I’m being Type A, but I’m only supposed to be at my current place until next Wednesday so we’ll see how that goes…my first lesson on “letting go.”

The difficulties finding housing here:

1. Temporary housing is not common. People rent apartments here at the minimum of one year, usually two, so there are a limited number of options.

2. Being a foreigner, people are aware of our lack of connections and that we can afford to pay more many times. So many times you get overcharged.

3. Apartments are not on par with those in the U.S.

4. Argentines are not married to their jobs or computers as most Americans are.

So last night, determined not to check my email anymore and be disappointed the perfect apartment wasn’t waiting in inbox (I’m being so American right here), I went out to Aristedes to get some real food. I’ve been mostly eating yogurt and fruit I bought from the supermarket during the day, and then eating a real meal for dinner.

My friend Gillian recommended a place called Taco Tabasco, so I sat down and ordered and low and behold, two of my students are sitting with two Americans next to me. I went back and forth in my head as to whether it would be fine to eat with them, and I decided upon yes as I’m not a big fan of eating alone and it’s hard enough to meet people in a new city.

I’m really glad I did because I ended up meeting a ton of new, interesting people. One guy told me his life story (I love life stories!) which was absolutely fascinating.

His mom is a chef and his family moved from Mendoza to Ohio when he was 10 years old. He learned English and made friends in Ohio and then when he was 17, he moved back to Mendoza with his family. He said it was an extremely tough time because he now spoke Spanish with a heavy accent and had to leave all of his friends and his girlfriend in Ohio. ON TOP OF ALL THAT, his family was robbed of every cent of their livelihood. When they shipped their stuff from Ohio to Mendoza through a company, the company “lost” ALL of their things and the insurance company covering it went bankrupt and fled. From Mendoza, his family couldn’t do anything—especially without spending a ton of money, so they had to just go on with their lives, starting from zero.

The fantastic part is he said he’s glad it happened because it made him the person he is today and he made the best friends in the world because of it. He’s studying politics b/c he thinks it’s the best way for him to help people.

I also got to talk to one of my students who wants me to help her apply for a scholarship to study English at Baylor University next year after she finished her schooling in Mendoza.

GOD IS GOOD!

1 comment:

  1. Mendoza is a great city to visit. Last year in my trip to Argentina, we decided to stay a couple of days in BA and had an actual apartment rental buenos aires and then we headed to San Rafael. I remember that when I went there with my boyfriend we rode horses up to a mountain, we rafted in the river (not too dangerous), we rowed with a boat through a lagoon to a rather wild place. There was so much adventure going on, and we used to end up tired as hell! But it was worth it, I simply loved it!

    ReplyDelete